Wildlife Department of Gilgit-Baltistan (GB) recently approved hunting permits for markhors as part of their annual Trophy Hunting season. This year’s auction had an extraordinary surprise with the highest bid ever in the region.
The Wildlife Department of Gilgit-Baltistan gave out permits to hunt markhors, for the yearly Trophy Hunting season.
The auction caught everyone’s attention as the permit to hunt the Astor markhor received a jaw-dropping bid of $186,000. This bid is the highest ever seen in the region.
In total, four permits were issued for markhor hunting. The second and third-highest bids for hunting other markhors were $181,000 and $177,000, respectively.
In addition to markhors, the local administration also made available 104 permits to hunt various endangered animals, including 12 blue sheep and 88 ibexes.
In addition to markhors, the local administration issued 104 hunting permits for several species in danger, including 12 blue sheep and 88 ibexes.
The trophy hunting season in Gilgit-Baltistan will begin on November 1 and last until April 25. This allows licensed hunters six months to participate.
Only 20% of the money made from selling hunting permits goes into the national treasury, while the remaining 80% is used to improve the local community, especially in the areas of health and development.
Some environmentalists argue that trophy hunting helps to curb poaching and benefits residents in the region. This constant struggle between conservation and controversy is a defining element of Gilgit-Baltistan’s annual Trophy Hunting season.